Monday 29 September 2014

PRAYER FLAGS

My sister issued a challenge to make some prayer flags.  She gave me five small (5x11") pieces of muslin with which to create.




I had heard of prayer flags before, but I really didn't know what they were all about so I had to do a little research.  Basically, they are banners of hope and peace.  These particular ones are made from scraps of fabric, representing the Tibetan prayer flags using the five elements - Earth (yellow), Water (green), Fire (red), Air/Cloud (white) and Sky/Space (blue).

The Challenge Was On!  I began by just painting each muslin scrap, using ordinary cheap acrylic paints.  When the background paint dried, I added a few stamps.


EARTH


WATER


FIRE


AIR/CLOUD


SKY/SPACE

Then, I added a bit of stitching and some embellishments.


EARTH


WATER


FIRE


AIR/CLOUD


SKY/SPACE

Next, they were strung together using gardening twine.




Now, they are ready to be hung outside to blow in the wind.

I can't wait to see my sister's creations.












No comments:

Post a Comment