Friday 30 May 2014

OWL BET SHE LIKES IT!

Another baby shower! 
I've known Anna for about a year.  She is having a baby in a few weeks.  Anna was Russian and it has been her custom to not have any sort of "baby shower" prior to the baby's birth.  Now that Anna is a Canadian Citizen she will embrace Canadian customs and has agreed to let her colleagues throw a pot-luck shower in her honour.  Since I'm the unofficial event-planner at work, it was my job to come up with a theme.  I really wanted to do something related to Russian Nesting Dolls, but couldn't really find anything babyish about it.  I went to my local quilt shop (The Hobby Horse) for inspiration.  Since we don't know the sex of the baby, I picked up a generic owl-themed print and a lovely green flannel.  I thought that the owl print had a Russian nesting doll look - close to my original theme, but not quite.




Next, I used my favourite search engine (Google and Pinterest) to come up with more ideas.   I found tons of stuff related to OWLS.  

 

Make your own water bottle labels and chocolate bar wrappers.  Even hold a baby diaper raffle - cool.




Finally, the quilt.  I make quilts as a gift for most baby showers.  The centre is a panel that has measurements up to 59".  The piece can be used for a bed quilt or as a wall hanging to keep track of the child's height as he/she grows.  I added a strip of green flannel to one side of the panel to help incorporate the backing flannel.  Next, owl print borders were added, then I free-motion machine quilted around each image, using Superior Threads invisible monofilament.  The same owl print was used for the binding.  Ta Da!!






1 comment:

  1. I love all of your ideas and the quilt is really cute. You're a natural at organizing things like this. I'm sure she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete