Monday 28 October 2013

QUILTS

I started making large bed quilts when I was in my teens and have slowly progressed towards making art quilts.  I appreciate the importance of traditional patchwork and sometimes want to make a larger bed quilt.  

I recently completed these two quilts.    The blocks had spent way too long in storage.

PATIO LANTERNS
This was made up from Block of the Month winnings.  As I was stitching the blocks together, I kept singing a Kim Mitchell song called Patio Lanterns, hence the title.



COUNTRY HEARTS
I began this quilt in 1990 something - you can tell from the lovely country plaids.   My intention was to machine piece the quilt top, and then to hand quilt.  I chose a flannel backing so that the quilt would feel as warm as it looked.  I'm not the best hand quilter at any time, but quilting through cotton, batting and flannel was not my best plan.  It was tough going and I struggled through most of it (breaking lots of needles), but ended up finishing with lots of machine quilting.

I've had my fix of patchwork for a while!

1 comment:

  1. I love the haert patchwork... you did a beautiful warm nice job.

    ReplyDelete