Wednesday 10 July 2013

GRATE IDEAS

The Group of Eight Fibre Artists July challenge was based on a photo taken by one of our members.  While visiting Mexico, she came upon rusty grate, on a golf course.  Our challenge was to interpret this photo in some way.


I saw the photo and said "What?!!!!".  I kept coming back to the photo and here's what I came up with.   It's a rough depiction of the photo.  This one is made using the Stonehenge fabric line, and backed with golf-theme fabric.


For this piece, I used all hand-dyed fabrics from my stash, picking up the colours from the photo.  I have to admit that most of my hand-dye fabrics are made for me by my sister.  Aren't I lucky?


My first idea (and last to create) was to use transparent fabrics, but it took a while to come to fruition.  This piece represents the sewage troubles that plague Mexico city.  Every year, their water levels recede up to 7cm.  Unless drastic measures are taken, the water ways will be taken over by land and sewage.  


2 comments:

  1. Well Done!! Once again multiple pieces... & all very different. Again, I had trouble coming up with one piece.
    Oh...& I wish I had a sister! boo hoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Impressive for sure..... Love

    ReplyDelete